You CAN tell people what you truly feel and think, and you can set boundaries when you need to. You just need to learn how to communicate assertively to do it effectively.
Assertive communication is a critical skill for emerging leaders, new managers, and people who are more introverted in social situations.
When you know how to communicate assertively, you can say “no” without feeling guilty, set boundaries to protect your time, priorities and goals, articulate requests clearly and confidently, and deal with awkward situations with ease.
Imagine being able to lift the frustration, stress and anxiety you normally feel when you have to stand up for yourself. Imagine life without people walking over you because they respect the boundaries you have set. Imagine people looking at you as a strong, confident person.
All of this is possible and learning how to communicate assertively will help you achieve it.
In this course, you will:
- become more reflective of your communication style and break bad communication habits
- overcome your fears about being assertive and speaking up honestly
- know how to get heard in chaotic group situations
- be able to connect and engage in one-on-one conversations
- know what body language to use to support your assertive message
- learn how to set boundaries and say “no” without feeling guilty
- express your feelings, opinions and wants honestly and clearly
- make clear requests with your friends, family and work colleagues
- better manage conflict and difficult conversations
- become more confident in your decision-making
- make your job and life less stressful because you know how to protect your time, priorities and goals
This course includes 3-hours of video content, coaching worksheets, and conversation examples.
I wasn't always a leadership coach. I used to be a corporate tax consultant for Deloitte in Tokyo. After a career reinvention, I became an entrepreneur and started Executive Impressions. Drawing from my corporate experience, I understand what is required to succeed professionally - a high level of both technical skill and soft skill. While I can't help you with your technical skill, I can help you improve your soft skill so you become more visible and influential in your career.
I have taught thousands of students globally through my video courses and have been ranked a Bestselling Instructor on a popular video course platform. My advice has been featured in TIME Inc., Business Insider, The Local France, West Australian and other publications.
I invite you to take a look through the range of video courses I have created and don't forget to watch the free preview videos. I hope to see you in one of my courses!
“A well organised course delivered in a concise and engaging way. Thank you Kara for breaking down the basic skills and providing a practical guide in how to achieve success.” Kate
“Well delivered with high-energy, fun and clear examples. Thank you Kara!” Vijayasekar
“This course was excellent. There were lots of extra handouts to go along with the narrative.” Rick, USA
- Introduction to Section 1 FREE PREVIEW
- What Is Passive, Passive-Aggressive, Aggressive and Assertive Communication?
- Why You Need to Be Assertive FREE PREVIEW
- How Assertive Are You?
- Assertivness Questionnaire
- Coaching Worksheet #1: Identify When and With Whom You Should Be More Assertive FREE PREVIEW
- Coaching Worksheet #1
- Section 1 Quiz
- Introduction to Section 2 FREE PREVIEW
- How Limiting Beliefs Can Be Damaging
- Diagram - How Limiting Beliefs Can Be Damaging
- Limiting Belief #1: Fear of Saying the Wrong Thing
- Limiting Belief #2: Fear Others Will Discover How Little You Know
- Limiting Belief #3: Fear of Hurting or Offending Others FREE PREVIEW
- Case Study - Fear of Hurting or Offending Others
- Limiting Belief #4: Fear That Somebody Will Challenge You
- Coaching Worksheet #2: Understand Your Limiting Beliefs
- Coaching Worksheet #2
- Section 2 Quiz
- Introduction to Section 3
- Understand the Dynamics of Group Conversations FREE PREVIEW
- Be the First to Speak Up
- Jump Into a Chaotic Group Conversation
- Keep Your Talking Space FREE PREVIEW
- Coaching Worksheet #3: How to Prepare for Group Conversations
- Coaching Worksheet #3
- Section 3 Quiz
- Introduction to Section 4 FREE PREVIEW
- Understand the Dynamics of One-On-One Conversations
- Get Agreement to Share Your Perspective on a Touchy Topic FREE PREVIEW
- How to Hide Your Anxiety
- How to Be an Engaging Conversation Partner
- Coaching Worksheet #4: How to Prepare for One-On-One Conversations FREE PREVIEW
- Coaching Worksheet #4
- Section 4 Quiz
- Introduction to Section 5 FREE PREVIEW
- Use Body Language That Is Congruent With Assertive Communication
- Establish An Assertive Presence in Seven Seconds
- Body Language Dos and Don’ts for Assertive Communication
- Coaching Worksheet #5: Correct Your Non-Assertive, Nonverbal Communication FREE PREVIEW
- Coaching Worksheet #5
- Section 5 Quiz
- Introduction to Section 6 FREE PREVIEW
- Why Expressing Your Feelings, Opinions and Wants is Important FREE PREVIEW
- Express Your Feelings
- Express Your Opinions
- Express Your Wants
- Use “I” Instead of “You”
- Address People By Name
- Be Persistent and Repeat Your Key Message
- Conversation Example - Persistence & Repeat Method
- Suggest a Workable Compromise FREE PREVIEW
- Conversation Example - Workable Compromise Method
- Make Clear Requests
- Say “No” to Establish Boundaries FREE PREVIEW
- Disagree Assertively
- Conversation Example - Disagree Assertively Method
- How to React When Somebody Disagrees With You
- Coaching Worksheet #6 - How to Move Your Assertive Communication Skills Forward FREE PREVIEW
- Coaching Worksheet #6
- Section 6 Quiz
- Summary and Final Message
This course is for:
- New managers who need to be more assertive with their team.
- Emerging leaders who want to communicate more clearly and confidently.
- Introverted people who need to set boundaries and say “no”.
- Passive communicators who want to speak more directly and honestly.
- People who don’t want to be invisible in social situations.
- People who are fearful of speaking up assertively and need to overcome their fears.
- People going into a new job or team and want to establish assertive boundaries.
- People who have difficulty protecting their time, priorities and goals.
- People who need to set stronger boundaries.
Assertive communication is a skill that will absolutely help you in your life. Learning how to communicate assertively has helped me immensely in my personal and business life, I know it can help you too.
When you know how to communicate assertively, you will finally be able to start living your life exactly the way you want. You’ll no longer be allowing other people to direct your life or force you into decisions because you don’t know how to say “no”.
This course will empower you to live your life on your terms. I’d be honoured if you joined me on this journey.